Re: Interesting race condition...

From: Tristan Wibberley
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 14:24:41 EST

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:42:37 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 July 2004 03:05, Paul Jackson wrote:
>> Rob wrote:
>> > I just saw a funky thing. Here's the cut and past from the xterm...
>>
>> Can you reproduce this by cat'ing /proc/<pid>/cmdline? Can you get a
>> dump of the proc cmdline file to leak the environment sometimes?
>
> I saw it exactly once, I'm afraid. Somebody else said they also saw it...
> once. It smelled to me like a race condition, with the process
> starting/exiting right as ps looked at it, but I haven't seen it again. (I
> could run the command in a loop overnight...)

I think I have seen this exactly once. I ran helixplayer from a bash
command line and it quit, immediately spouting something about how it
couldn't find a file whose name looked remarkably similar to
some environment variables. I had put it down to screwed terminal settings
so I couldn't see I had pasted something in, and I immediately issued a
reset, so I have no more information I'm afraid.

--
I have a little sig...