Re: pmdisk/swusp1 (merged) with 2.6.8-rc2-mm1

From: Kevin Fenzi
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 15:12:38 EST

>>>>> "Kevin" == Kevin Fenzi <kevin-kernel@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Kevin> Greetings.

Kevin> I am a happy software suspend2 user, but with the recent merge
Kevin> of pmdisk and swsusp1, I thought I would give it a try and see
Kevin> how far along it's come.

Kevin> Using 2.6.8-rc2-mm1 (that has the merged pmdisk/swsusp) I
Kevin> booted single user and unloaded all modules, then started a
Kevin> hibernate.

Kevin> It gets to:

Kevin> PM: Attempting to suspend to disk.

Kevin> and then hangs. Machine has to be hard power cycled. Looking at
Kevin> the code the problem appears to be that my laptop is reporting
Kevin> that it has "S4_bios" support. It doesn't, but swsup1 sees the
Kevin> S4_bios in /proc/acpi/sleep and tries to call that instead of
Kevin> swsusp1.

Kevin> Is there any way to disable detection of S4_bios?

Kevin> Is there any way to get swsusp1 to use it's S4 instead of
Kevin> S4_bios?

Kevin> I guess I can recompile with the calls to S4_bios removed and
Kevin> see how things go.

To followup on myself here, this can be set with:

echo "shutdown" > /sys/power/disk

to tell it to use OS shutdown instead of firmware mode letting the
bios handle things.

Using that, I get a suspend to happen ok, but on resume I get a kernel
panic. ;(

Pavel/Patrick: Does your current implementation handle himem and/or
preempt?

suspend2 handles both, so I had them enabled in my config, but I
wonder if that isn't the issue. The panic is in memory allocation it
seems like.

I can re-compile with both those off.

kevin