Re: [Fastboot] Re: Announce: dumpfs v0.01 - common RAS output API

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 18:57:08 EST

On Iau, 2004-07-29 at 00:11, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> If we can ensure the addresses where the new kernel will run will never
> have DMA pointed at them I actually don't think so. This is why last
> year I recommended building a kernel that runs at a non-default address
> and finding a way to simply preload it there.

We DMA into arbitary allocated pages anywhere in the memory space, so
you never know where is safe other than areas preallocated during the
old kernel run.

Since you can just clear the master bit on each PCI device it isnt a big
deal to protect against. (except a couple of devices that forget
to honour it)