XATTR support

From: Steve French
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 20:11:59 EST

I noticed that ext2, ext3, reiserfs, and jfs mark (in menuconfig) their
xattr support as an optional subfeature which is a little surprising
because the xattr support in those filesystems is no longer
experimental/unstable and there seems little harm in just always
building xattr support in to those filesystems. Now that I have added
xattr support to the cifs filesystem in the cifs development bk tree, I
was planning on making xattr support a suboption (in menuconfig)
following the example of those others, at least at first (the suboption
also would be marked experimental for a while).

Is there any particular reason to always configure xattr support (not
make it a menuconfig option) for individual filesystems?