Re: 2.6.8-rc2 crash(s)?

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 21:01:38 EST

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 21:03, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:59:03PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> This message is now a bit old, William.
>> I was watching the psu voltages via gkrellm, and was seeing the 5
>> volt line go from 4.89, down to 4.73 in consecutive readings. The
>> new 420 watt Antec, seems to be steadier at 4.87 +- 0.03 or so.
>> I suspect the tap point for the xx83627 chips input may not be
>> right at the psu connector on the mobo cause I suspect the supply
>> itself is probably doing 5.05 or so, although I haven't dropped my
>> DVM on the line to test, its rather buried behind the drive cage.
>> But lemme go hit a drive power connector since there are spares on
>> this psu, brb. Yeah, at a drive cables middle connector, with a
>> small load on the end, its sitting at 5.00 volts, solid as a rock.
>> This supply has seperate regulators for the 5 volt, and 3.3 volt
>> lines where the older one regulated everything against the 5 volt
>> by turns ratios on the transformer, and was only a 300 watter,
>> with 2 hd's, 2 floppy's and a dvd writer in addition to the
>> motherboard load.
>> Anything else a C.E.T. can get for you?
>
>The question is really whether all this is actually causing
> observable kernel/cpu/device failures.

Well, at this point, I've 'shotgunned' just about everything. Mobo,
cpu, memory and psu now. And a fresh ATI (Xtacy made) 9200SE video
card, the old nvidia failed and apparently compromised something on
the old Biostar M7VIB mobo as it was going. Its now a Biostar
M7NCD-Pro, with a 2800XP athlon replaceing the 1400XP on the old
board. The new memory, 2 sticks of 512Mb, is DDR400 rated. And I
just built, and am booted to, 2.6.7. I'll see how long it stays up.

And despite all this trouble, I'm once again slowly climbing in the
seti@home ranks :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)