Re: PATCH: VLAN support for 3c59x/3c90x

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 23:26:38 EST

Hi !

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 02:45:47PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

> In my opinion Becker's complaints were invalid, or maybe I just
> didn't understand what he was trying to say. At any rate, lots of
> other NICs have supported larger MTUs and VLANs w/out problem, so
> it is unlikely that there is a fundamental flaw in accepting larger
> frames.

I've already used these cards with larger MTU to experiment some tunnelling
without decreasing the tunnel's MTU. I believe I used a NIC MTU around 1518
so that it could pass a cisco switch limited to 1536 bytes per frame. It
never went into production but it worked well.

> There are patches for tulip floating around too. I have been running
> traffic on these patches for a while with no obvious problems
> (on 2.4 kernel, however). Jeff, if you want me to re-send this to you,
> please let me know!

I noticed a bug in the 2.4 tulip driver concerning MTU. The parameter
is correctly declared as a static int, initialized with default values,
checked by the code, but not declared as MODULE_PARM, so the user cannot
change it ! I wanted to send a patch but didn't find time to work on it
yet. So if your vlan patch fixes it, it's welcome :-)

Cheers,
Willy