Re: [BUG] PPC math-emu multiply problem

From: Dan Malek
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 14:28:05 EST

On Jul 29, 2004, at 10:06 AM, Kumar Gala wrote:

On Jul 29, 2004, at 8:14 AM, Greg Weeks wrote:

I'm seeing what appears to be a bug in the ppc kernel trap math
emulator. An extreme case for multiplies isn't working the way gcc
soft-float or hardware floating point is.

I'm not surprised. I lifted this code from Sparc, glibc, and adapted
it as best I could for PPC years ago for the 8xx. I was happy when
it appeared to work for the general cases. :-)

Due to its overhead, I never expected it to be _the_ solution for
processors that don't have floating point hardware. Recompiling
the libraries with soft-float and using that option when compiling
is the way to go.

Remember, don't mix soft-float compilation with libraries compiled
with HW floating point, and trap emulations. They are not
compatible and will return erroneous results.

Thanks.

-- Dan