Re: [Patch] Per kthread freezer flags

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 18:09:38 EST

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 10:46 +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 09:21, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> > kirdad? No... That sounds like Infrared which my laptop does not have.
>
> Did to me too. I was clutching at straws. :>
>
> > Here is a digest of ps -axf:
> >
> > PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
> > 1 ? S 0:00 init [5]
> > 2 ? S< 0:03 [irqd/0]
> > 3 ? S< 0:00 [events/0]
> > 4 ? S< 0:00 \_ [khelper]
> > 5 ? S< 0:00 \_ [kacpid]
> > 22 ? S< 0:00 \_ [kblockd/0]
> > 32 ? S 0:00 \_ [pdflush]
> > 33 ? S 0:00 \_ [pdflush]
> > 35 ? S< 0:00 \_ [aio/0]
> > 36 ? S< 0:00 \_ [xfslogd/0]
> > 37 ? S< 0:00 \_ [xfsdatad/0]
> > 34 ? S 0:00 [kswapd0]
> > 38 ? S 0:00 [xfsbufd]
> > 120 ? S 0:00 [kseriod]
> > 125 ? S 0:00 [xfssyncd]
> > 273 ? Ss 0:00 minilogd
> > 286 ? S 0:00 [xfssyncd]
> > 287 ? S 0:00 [xfssyncd]
> > 567 ? S 0:00 [khubd]
> > 871 ? S 0:00 [pccardd]
> > 877 ? S 0:00 [pccardd]
>
> It doesn't look like I've touched any of those threads. I have doubts
> about irqd/0 (is that kirqd reworked?), so you might try making setting
> PF_NOFREEZE and seeing if it makes a difference. I haven't done the
> switch to rc2-mm1 yet, so haven't gotten to those issues.

Well, I've tried the kthread freezer patch against 2.6.8-rc2-mm1 and it
works fine. However, with kthread freezer applied, suspending and
resuming is much slower (around 5 seconds slower). Thus, I guess all my
problems must be related to some specific patch I'm applying against the
current -bk tree.

I'll keep investigating this issue, but I think voluntary-preempt might
have some strange interactions with these kthread changes.