Re: Recent 2.6 kernels can't read an entire ATAPI CD or DVD

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 00:55:28 EST

On Fri, Jul 30 2004, Robert Love wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 10:49 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
>
> > Looks pretty perfect, maybe it's read-ahead screwing it up. Try if
> > setting hdparm -a0 /dev/hdc makes a difference.
>
> I am seeing similar errors[1] on later 2.6, too, with about 50% of my
> audio CD collection. Some work, some do not. I see no pattern.
>
> Already tried disabling read-ahead, does not matter. Also tried a
> different drive.

read-ahead doesn't matter on ripping audio, just for fs work.

The audio problems might be fixed in 2.6.8-rc1-mm1 + the bounce patch
posted a few times (unfortunately 2.6.8-rc2-mm1 drops the patch for some
reason).

> Robert Love
>
> [1]
> hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: command error: error=0x54
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 8
> Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 1

So this happens during ripping, or? The problem with the errors like the
above is that they don't indicate a specific problem. I can't just look
at the error and see what causes it, it could be a million things.

--
Jens Axboe