Re: ksoftirqd uses 99% CPU triggered by network traffic (maybeRLT-8139 related)

From: Robert Olsson
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 09:09:54 EST

Pasi Sjoholm writes:

> I don't remember if I have said this but when the ksoftirqd has started to
> take all the cpu-time there is no way to stop it excluding booting
> computer. You can kill or stop all the processes which are taking your
> cpu-time (ie. source compiling) but network wont start to work or neither
> there is no free cpu-time for use because ksoftirqd won't stop eating it.

No you didn't then it seems you are hit by some bug. Have the bug happen.
Kill userland processes like as you did. Try find out what's running. I would
look in /proc/interrupt /proc/net/softnet_stat /proc/net/dev or maybe best to
take a profile if possible or Magic SysRq to find out what's looping. Also try
ifconfig down.

Cheers.
--ro