Re: Exposing ROM's though sysfs

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 14:01:40 EST

--- Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My problem is with this is the following passage from PCI 2.2 and PCI
> 2.3:
>
> In order to minimize the number of address decoders needed, a
> device may share a decoder between the Expansion ROM Base Address
> register and other Base Address registers. When expansion ROM decode
> is enabled, the decoder is used for accesses to the expansion ROM
> and device independent software must not access the device through
> any other Base Address registers.

Alan Cox knows more about this, but I believe there is only one PCI
card in existence that does this.

For the one or two cards that do this, the device drivers could flag
this to the PCI subsystem. In the flagged case the sysfs read code
could shut off interrupts, enable the ROM, copy it, and then reenable
interrupts.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx