Re: Exposing ROM's though sysfs

From: Martin Mares
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 14:49:32 EST

Hello!

> The caching is only going to happen for cards with minimal address
> decoder implementations. As far as I know there is only one card that
> does this.

Yes, but ...

(1) it doesn't change the fact that the caching is in the vast majority
of cases just wasting of RAM, even if it will happen only with a couple
of cards.

(2) not all drivers dwell in the kernel.

I would prefer keeping sysfs access the ROM directly, with a little
work-around disabling the sysfs file for the devices known for sharing
decoders and to offer a boot-time parameter for forcing the copy in case
you really need such feature for that particular device.

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@xxxxxx> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
return(EIEIO); /* Here-a-bug, There-a-bug... */