Re: Exposing ROM's though sysfs

From: Martin Mares
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 15:17:18 EST

> Do I understand it correctly that the ROM-in-sysfs hack is intended only
> for debugging? If it is so, I do not see why we should do anything complicated
> in order to avoid root shooting himself in the foot.

... for which the config space access code already sets the precedent --
there exist (rare) devices which have configuration registers with side
effects on reads, making it possible to produce SCSI errors or even crash
the system by just dumping the config space. Even on these devices, the
kernel does not attempt to forbid reading of these registers via sysfs.

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@xxxxxx> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.