Re: PATCH: VLAN support for 3c59x/3c90x

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 11:27:45 EST

Willy Tarreau wrote:
On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:05:03PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Ok, sorry, I've just checked, they are 6. But I incidentely used the feature
on 2 of them (dl2k and starfire). But more drivers still have the
'static int mtu=1500' preceeded by a comment stating "allow the user to change
the mtu". Why is it not a #define then, if nobody can change it anymore ?

People can change it all the time with ifconfig.

no, they change dev->mtu, not the 'static' mtu. I think it has been

Correct. The user _should not_ be allowed to change the driver limit, because it is precisely that a driver (and hardware) limit.

inherited from the old days without MODULE_PARM.

Using MODULE_PARM to select max MTU limit was always the wrong thing to do. The user generally has no idea of the hardware limits involve.

Patches to remove these incorrect module parameters are welcome.

Jeff