Re: PATCH: VLAN support for 3c59x/3c90x

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 12:15:11 EST

Hi Ben,

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:03:31AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

> VLAN allows you to continue using the ethX interface as a regular
> ethernet interface, so you do not generally want it's MTU to be set
> to 1504 because then the other peer ethernet interfaces would also
> have to be set to 1504. I believe it is much better to silently let
> the extra 4 bytes pass but NOT advertise this extra 4 bytes to
> anything that actually cares about MTU.

I 100% agree with you on this one, but I don't see how playing with
change_mtu() would change anything. Ideally, we would need to export
the level 2 limit (imposed by hardware and intermediate switches) to
other drivers such as 802_1q, and let only the IP stack rely on dev->mtu.

I've seen several drivers which silently add 4 bytes to the hardware
config when CONFIG_VLAN is set. I find it better than fooling the IP
stack into using 1504 bytes, which is a disaster on UDP !

Cheers,
Willy