Re: PATCH: VLAN support for 3c59x/3c90x

From: Ben Greear
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 12:17:33 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Matti Aarnio wrote:

For this IFCONFIG MTU issue, I would rather have the VLAN code to ask
the underlaying driver of what MTU can be supported, than just blindly
presume that 1500 will be functional for e.g. eth0.2 (like it does now)

The VLAN code could certainly be updated to poke at the lower level driver MTU.

Please do not do this without more discussion. This could easily
break the current ability to use the regular ethernet device in the
normal manner, regardless of the existence of VLANs. I'd rather
not loose this capability across the board just to work around a few
broken drivers.

Thanks,
Ben

--