Re: PATCH: VLAN support for 3c59x/3c90x

From: Lee Revell
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 15:17:43 EST

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 13:21, Ben Greear wrote:
> Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > I've seen several drivers which silently add 4 bytes to the hardware
> > config when CONFIG_VLAN is set. I find it better than fooling the IP
> > stack into using 1504 bytes, which is a disaster on UDP !
>
> It would be a disaster with any IP protocol, not just UDP.

UDP is prone to *much* weirded behavior than TCP in the face of things
like this. I once had an NFS server and client using UDP. A had its
block size set to 8K, B to 32K. For some reason the mount succeeded
with these options, but when you copied a file from A to B (like, oh,
say, /etc/passwd), it "worked", but the file was truncated to 8K! The
only indication that anything was wrong (other than hundreds of users
unable to log in) was a mild warning in the logs.

I am not sure what would have happened with a TCP mount, but not that!

Lee