Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: Statistical methods for latency profiling

From: Lee Revell
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 22:25:18 EST

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 22:55, Matt Mackall wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 01:22:37AM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > Recently Ingo Molnar asked in one of the voluntary-preempt threads for
> > the minimum and average scheduling delay reported by jackd. JACK does
> > not currently maintain these statistics.
> >
> > I realized that the distribution of maximum latencies reported on each
> > process cycle is fairly normally distributed.
>
> This is not at all what I would expect. Instead, I'd expect to see
> something like a gamma distribution, where we have everything
> clustered down close to zero, but with a very long tail in the
> positive direction falling off exponentially and obviously a hard
> limit on the other side..

Right, it is a lot closer to a gamma distribution. It's been years
since I have used any of this, and I took stat for psych majors, vs stat
for engineers. I was a lot more interested in playing Doom at the
time...

This looks interesting:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/ppccplot.htm
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section4/eda4291.htm