SCSI removable devices problem

From: Giuliano Pochini
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 07:24:18 EST

It seems that 2.6.7 reads the partition table only once: when the scsi unit
is added to the list during boot or when I send the "add-single-device"
command. This is a problem with removable devices because if the drive
hasn't a disk inserted at boot time, attempting to mount a partitioned disk
always results in:

mount: /dev/sdb1 is not a valid block device

Also, bad things may happen (not tested) if a disk was in during boot and I
replace it with another one with a different partitioning.

As a workaround I have to send the "remove-single-device" command after
having unmounted a volume and "add-single-device" after I have inserted a
new one. I don't know when this problem was introduced, sorry.

--
Giuliano.