FAT trouble in 2.6.8-rc2-mm1

From: Bart Alewijnse
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 13:22:51 EST

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fat driver seems to both require and
not accept the codepage mount option:

Aug 1 20:17:28 stretch FAT: Unrecognized mount option
"codepage=cp850" or missing value

..and when I remove it:

Aug 1 20:17:45 stretch FAT: codepage or iocharset option didn't specified
Aug 1 20:17:45 stretch File name can not access proper (mounted as read-only)

Since my fat partition is my major inter-OS storage other than my
server, this is highly annoying.

The relevant fstab line is:
/dev/hda4 /mnt/big vfat iocharset=cp850,fmask=0111,codepage=cp850 0 0
(I'm not sure what are good options for both, I was filling utf and
whatnot just to see it that'd help)

--Bart Alewijnse