Re: Oops in register_chrdev, what did I do?

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 05:15:12 EST

Arjan van de Ven <arjanv@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> OTOH, wouldn't it be a good idea to refuse loading modules not
>> matching the running kernel?
>
> we do that already... provided you use the kbuild infrastructure instead
> of a broken self-made makefile hack....

I used "make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r` SUBDIRS=$PWD modules". Is
that not correct? The breakage was my fault, though.

The problem I see is that a modules contain information about certain
compiler flags used, e.g. -mregparm, but insmod still attempts to load
them even they do not match the kernel. This is independent of what
build system you used.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxx