Re: ide-cd problems

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 07:26:46 EST

On Sun, Aug 01 2004, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> said:
> > On Sun, Aug 01 2004, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Remember that it is still possible to write CDs through ide-cd in 2.4.x
> > > using some pre-alpha code in cdrecord:
> > >
> > > cdrecord dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 image.iso
>
> [...]
>
> > Don't ever use that interface, period.
>
> Great! So I won't be able to use any of the CD burners I have now.

Use the SG_IO interface, it should be the default if you just specify
dev=/dev/hdc instead of faking some SCSI like device enumeration for
ATAPI.

> > It's not just the cdrecord code
> > that may be alpha (I doubt it matters, it's easy to use), the interface
> > it uses is not worth the lines of code it occupies.
>
> What do you suggest then? ide-scsi is gone, so AFAIK this is the only way
> to burn CDs right now on 2.6.x

If you read the above, it was about 2.4 and using ide-cd instead of
ide-scsi there. In 2.6 you have two options outside of ide-scsi: one is
the CDROM_SEND_PACKET (which is what the dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 above used)
which works in both 2.4 and 2.6, but is absolutely crap and not
recommended. The other is the SG_IO method, which is the recommended
approach.

--
Jens Axboe