Re: 2.6.8-rc2-mm2

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 08:56:36 EST

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 01:55:27AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.8-rc2/2.6.8-rc2-mm2/
> - Tons of new fixes and cleanups and updates to various things as usual.
> - Again, 2.6.8 is close, so if people have critical fixes in here which
> need flushing out, please ping me.

Speaking of cleanups, I've got a little something.

This mass slaughter of duplicated code is a cleanup of /proc/profile
that consolidates code across all arches and privatizes private state.
Compiletested on x86-64. Prior incarnations of earlier cleanups this
is based on were runtime tested on ia32, x86-64, sparc64, and alpha.

The purpose of these cleanups in their prior incarnations has been for
use as a preparatory cleanup for profiling other kinds of events in
/proc/profile's buffer (or similar buffers). There has recently been a
need to discover which codepaths were responsible for leaking inodes
that were leaking that similar cleanups in combination with some slab
profiling hooks are being used to instrument.

In order, the patches of the series (included as a series of separate
MIME attachments to this post) are:
consolidate-prof_cpu_mask.patch
Handling of prof_cpu_mask is grossly inconsistent. Some arches
have it as a cpumask_t, others unsigned long, and even within
arches it's treated inconsistently. This makes it cpumask_t
across the board, and consolidates the handling in kernel/profile.c
profile_pc.patch
The program counter calculation from pt_regs is the only
portion of profile accounting that differs across various
architectures. This is usually instruction_pointer(regs), but
to handle the few arches where it isn't, introduce profile_pc().
profile_tick.patch
With prof_cpu_mask and profile_pc() in hand, the core is now
able to perform all the profile accounting work on behalf of
arches. Consolidate the profile accounting and convert all
arches to call the core function.
move-profile-operations.patch
proc_misc.c is a trainwreck. Move the file_operations for
/proc/profile into kernel/profile.c and call the profiling
setup from proc_misc_init().
static-profile-state.patch
Make the various bits of state no longer used anywhere else
static to kernel/profile.c
atomic-prof_buffer.patch
Convert prof_buffer to an array of atomic_t instead of
sometimes atomic_t, sometimes unsigned int. Also, bootmem
rounds up internally, so blow away some crap code there.

-- wli