Re: ide-cd problems

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 09:00:18 EST

On Mon, Aug 02 2004, tabris wrote:

> On Sunday 01 August 2004 11:57 am, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > >
> > > Remember that it is still possible to write CDs through ide-cd in
> > > 2.4.x using some pre-alpha code in cdrecord:
> > >
> > > cdrecord dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 image.iso
> >
> > (don't trim cc lists on linux-kernel!)
> >
> > Don't ever use that interface, period. It's not just the cdrecord
> > code that may be alpha (I doubt it matters, it's easy to use), the
> > interface it uses is not worth the lines of code it occupies.
> Then we have a severe disagreement between the cdrecord code (or at
> least the runtime warnings) and the Linux-Kernel IDE folks.
> specifically, these lines, while running with cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom
>
> scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
> devname: '/dev/cdrom'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.

Kernel and cdrecord disagreement, news at 11.

> I've attached two logs, one using the ATAPI interface, one using
> your suggested interface. Frankly, both have rather nasty
> warnings on them, and one gets to wondering what the cdrecord
> authors want...
>
> Maybe we should be cc:ing the authors of cdrecord as well?

I appreciate the good intentions, but perhaps you should research a bit
of background on this before going over board here. Don't think it
hasn't been suggested to Joerg before to kill that message.

Look at the errors as well - one is about the transport used:

> devname: 'ATAPI'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
> Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.
> Warning: There may be fatal problems.
> SCSI buffer size: 64512

The other (for SG_IO)

> scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
> devname: '/dev/cdrom'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.

just says that open-by-device name is unintentional, it doesn't give you
warnings on the transport.

So in short (and repeating): don't use ATAPI (CDROM_SEND_PACKET), it
sucks. Use SG_IO (which means using open-by-device, which works at least
as well as the stupid faked ATAPI bus/id/lun crap and has the much
better transport). Don't compare apples and oranges.

--
Jens Axboe