Re: ide-cd problems

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 15:41:58 EST

Horst von Brand wrote:
Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> said:

On Sun, Aug 01 2004, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

[...]

Remember that it is still possible to write CDs through ide-cd in 2.4.x using some pre-alpha code in cdrecord:

cdrecord dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 image.iso

[...]

Don't ever use that interface, period.

Great! So I won't be able to use any of the CD burners I have now.

It's not just the cdrecord code
that may be alpha (I doubt it matters, it's easy to use), the interface
it uses is not worth the lines of code it occupies.

What do you suggest then? ide-scsi is gone, so AFAIK this is the only way
to burn CDs right now on 2.6.x

Actually ide-scsi isn't gone, and what you want is ATA: not ATAPI: here. But if ATAPI: works for you, it's slow and grotty, but I think it does work. I've been using ide-scsi on 2.4 and don't plan to stop while it works, but ATAPI: is the one of choice for 2.6, particularly for burning audio.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)