Re: HIGHMEM4G config for 1GB RAM on desktop?

From: Bart Alewijnse
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 16:34:26 EST

Last time I checked (which is already a somewhat older kernel) without
the 4G option you can only only address nine hundred something out of
of your thousand and twenty four megs.

And I believe the highmem thing creates some overhead.

So if you can live without the ~100mb, keep it off. If you want it,
turn it on. Other people will probably tell you te exact effects of
highmem. Probably in hard to decipher english too:)

I kept it off for ages, myself, basically because I rarely use all my
1GB. I think it's on now.

--Bart