Re: OLS and console rearchitecture

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 19:08:16 EST

> It should probably be a real device driver rather than a sysfs pseudofile.
> Not sure if it should be dynamic or not though. It would be nice if apps
> used the driver to do legacy VGA I/O port accesses as well, since that would
> make things easier on platforms that unconditionally master abort when a PIO
> times out, and would probably make it easier to deal with multiple domains.

I strongly agree. Also, access to VGA memory (in case that is necessary)
should be provided via MMAP on this driver too.

There are other reasons than master aborts to go that way, like platforms
that have multiple PCI domains with separate IO spaces that can accomodate
VGA cards in several of them.

Ben.