Re: DRM code reorganization

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 19:40:13 EST

On Maw, 2004-08-03 at 00:48, Dave Airlie wrote:
> I'm going to agree with Ian here, making a generic library layer is going
> to make maintaining the DRM a full time job as opposed to the 5-6 hrs a

Disagree. If the factoring is done right its probably easier to maintain
and you'll have more people able to maintain it. In addition because its
not "magic" more code scans for bugs and the like will
find stuff properly.

> week I do on it ... also the change to a library needs to be done in
> little steps, removing something from one place and adding it to another,
> a big code-drop from the DRI CVS is not going to be acceptable to anyone,
> however breaking things in the kernel tree is also not going to be...

Its going to have to happen to get video stuff working, to get hotplug
working. The question is when and how we do it