Re: dma problems with Serverworks CSB5 chipset

From: Rich Wohlstadter
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 13:48:23 EST

> On Maw, 2004-08-03 at 19:08, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>> ServerWorks OSB4/5 chipsets are known to not work reliably with the
>> Linux
>> IDE code. AFAIK its a hardware problem which we dont correctly work
>> around.
>>
>> Have you tried disabling DMA?
>>
>> Bart and Alan are IDE experts, they can probably give you more useful
>> information.
>
> CSB5 is reliable, rock solidly so in my experience. OSB4 was the older
> interface with problems. Are these systems SMP, what disks are you using
> and in what IDE mode ?

Yep, they are SMP(IBM blades with 2 Xeon 2.4Ghz). The blades use 1
little 40g laptop drive( TOSHIBA MK4019GAXB ). The drive is running UDMA
mode 4. Here is the output of /proc/ide/svwks:

ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5/CSB6

ServerWorks CSB5 Chipset (rev 93)
------------------------------- General Status
---------------------------------
--------------- Primary Channel ---------------- Secondary Channel
-------------
enabled enabled
--------------- drive0 --------- drive1 -------- drive0 ---------- drive1
------
DMA enabled: yes yes no no
UDMA enabled: yes yes no no
UDMA enabled: 4 4 0 0
DMA enabled: 2 2 2 2
PIO enabled: 4 4 ? ?

Let me know if you need any other specifics and thanks in advance for any
advice.

Rich