Re: [patch] mlock-as-nonroot revisted

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 16:43:57 EST

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 05:31:08PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> If root wants to screw over a user, there's nothing we
> can do. I am not worried about the scenario you describe
> because hugetlbfs seems to be used only by Oracle anyway,
> so you won't run into issues like you describe.

hugetlbfs isn't only used by oracle. Anyways if you were right then why
is there a IPC_CAP_LOCK in hugetlbfs in the first place? If Oracle is
the only user then just drop such check and stop binding rlimits to
persistent fs objects.

> It would be different for a general purpose filesystem,
> but I'd like to see a usage case for your scenario before
> making the code overly complex.

if calling chown on hugetlbfs makes no sense then why is chown available
in the first place?