Re: Booting 2.6.x slows to almost to a halt when detecting hard drives on Dell Inspiron 5150

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 21:26:36 EST

Jacques Fortier writes:

Hi,

I've had issues getting 2.6 kernels to boot. It seems to be an issue
either with my Intel ICH4 IDE controller or my Hitachi Travelstar 60GB
disk.

I'm trying to get 2.6 working on a Dell Inspiron 5150. I've been running
2.4 for a while without any problems. I've witnessed this problem in the
Debian 2.6.7 and 2.6.6 kernel packages, 2.6.7 compiled from the Debian
source code, and 2.6.7 compiled from the vanilla kernel.org source.

Everything seems to work fine until the hard drive detection starts.
Since I'm not sure how much of this stuff if relelvant, I've
painstakingly transcribed a bunch of the output

ICH4: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:1f.1
PCI: enabling device 0000:00:1f.1 (0005 -> 0007)
ICH4: chipset revision 1
ICH4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xbfa0-0xbfa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xbfa0-0xbfa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA hdb:pio
hda: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Using anticipatory io scheduler
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 0x3f6 on irq 14
hdc HTS548060M9AT00, ATA DISK drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177 0x376 on irq 15
hdc: max request size: 1024KiB
hdc: lost interrupt
hdc: lost interrupt
hdc: lost interrupt

Have you tried booting with various apic and acpi options? Try noapic and / or
acpi=off

see if that helps.

Cheers,
Con