Re: NFS-mounted, read-only /dev unusable in 2.6

From: Frank Steiner
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 01:28:38 EST

L A Walsh wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but in the 2.6 series, wasn't the ability
to mount subdirectories with different options, also, added? Would
it be possible to export and mount /dev with rw options to a specific
client?

Yes, that's an option. But all this needs to be done in the init script,
since with nfsroot I only get /. So mounting /dev rw from the server is
similar to figuring out which client-specific /dev should be mounted.
But in this init process things can fail and I want to see those messages.
If I fail to mount the server /dev rw for any reason, I won't see the
error message :-(

Or, more radical, if the roots of the clients end up being mounted RW
eventually anyway, why not specify 'rw' in the lilo option? It's not
like it is a local filesystem that may be corrupt where one should
boot from it RO until it is checked...

No, the real / is exported ro from the server and stays mounted ro on
the clients. Only the client specific /dev, /var and /etc are mounted
rw...

cu,
Frank

--