Re: NFS-mounted, read-only /dev unusable in 2.6

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 01:50:39 EST

On 2004.08.04 08:34, Frank Steiner wrote:
> Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>
> > If having /dev mounted read-only means you cannot open devices
> > like /dev/console read/write then that is a bug in the NFS client
> > in the kernel.
>
> Which matches the fact the it works with server running 2.6 and
> client running 2.4.
>

> > On all other filesystems (ext2, ext3, xfs etc) there's no problem
> > opening devices r/w on a read-only filesystem.
>
> Should I report that as bug to someone special?

Assuming you have a way to reproduce this, to the NFS client
maintainer - see the file MAINTAINERS in the kernel source.

But I just tried to reproduce this on 2.6.7-rc2 (it's what my
workstation happens to be running) and I can't. I can mount an
nfs-exported /dev from both 2.4 and 2.6 servers read-only and
I can open devices on that read-only mount just fine.

Mike.
--
The question is, what is a "manamanap".
The question is, who cares ?