Re: 2.6.8-rc2-mm2

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 03:36:42 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:
Con Kolivas writes:

Nick Piggin writes:

Con Kolivas wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:

Anyone with feedback on this please cc me. This was developed separately from the -mm series which has heaps of other scheduler patches which were not trivial to merge with so there may be teething problems. Good reports dont hurt either ;)

I can't get onto the OSDL site now, but I seem to remember staircase
having some performance problems on a few things. Hackbench and reaim
from memory... are these fixed? was I dreaming?

Definitely dreaming I'm afraid :D

The performance on both reaim and hackbench has always equalled or exceeded mainline so thanks for bringing it up.

(OSDL's search thingy still isn't working quite right, but I'll get back
to you about this when it does.)

Otherwise, a couple of problems I noticed:

You removed things like this:
- /*
- * The idle thread is not allowed to schedule!
- * Remove this check after it has been exercised a bit.
- */
- if (unlikely(current == rq->idle) && current->state != TASK_RUNNING) {
- printk(KERN_ERR "bad: scheduling from the idle thread!\n");
- dump_stack();
- }
-
And child-runs-first in wake_up_new_task. Please don't.

Also, basic interactivity in X is bad with the interactive sysctl set to 0
(is X supposed to be at nice 0?), however fairness is bad when interactive is 1.
I'm not sure if this is an acceptable tradeoff - are you planning to fix it?

It has interactivity problems with "thud". Also the mouse can freeze for .5 to 1
second when moving between windows while there is disk IO going on in the background
(this is with interactive = 1). The test-starve problem is back.

Increasing priority (negative nice) doesn't have much impact. -20 CPU hog only gets
about double the CPU of a 0 priority CPU hog and only about 120% the CPU time of a
nice -10 hog.