Re: Linux 2.6.8-rc3

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 11:15:28 EST

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 12:00:26PM -0400, James Morris wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Jari Ruusu wrote:
>
> > Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > Summary of changes from v2.6.8-rc2 to v2.6.8-rc3
> > [snip]
> > > James Morris:
> > > o [CRYPTO]: Add i586 optimized AES
> >
> > My work on aes-i586.S is only licensed under original three clause BSD
> > license. You do not have my permission to change the license.
> >
> > Either use original license or drop this code.
>
> Can you assert licensing restrictions which override the original author's
> (Brian Gladman)? I don't know the answer, just asking.

Well, the license is an "or", so you're free to create derived works
under either or both licenses as you prefer.

But I don't even see why it's an issue; every source I've ever seen
seems to agree that the two are compatible, so you're always free to
relicense under 3-clause BSD under BSD or GPL anyway. So, unless I'm
missing something, the "or GPL" probably doesn't do anything more than
make explicit something that was allowed already.

--Bruce Fields