Re: Possible dcache BUG

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 21:17:01 EST

On Monday 02 August 2004 09:14, Brett Charbeneau wrote:
>Greetings,
>
> I am getting the oops below - twice since 7/26, but I haven't a
>clue what's causing it.
> I am not a subscriber, so any replies directed to me would be
>gratefully received.
> Thank you for your hard work on this!

The attachment this gentleman included specifically points to
prune_dcache(). Thats nice. It also means I'm not alone. See the
'prune_dcache() Oops, the saga continues' thread.

I got in about 9pm after spending the afternoon inside a tv
transmitter, having left the house about 1ish. Black screen.
keyboard leds out. The usual. Last log entry was at 14:49 EDT this
afternoon. Some file fam couldn't find message. Whenever it went
down, it went so fast there was no logged trace. The next entry is
syslogd restarting after I'd hit the reset button.

So whatever took it down, did it all by itself as the only non-system
processes running were setiathome, X and kmail (from kde3.2,
kde3.2.3, and kde3.3-beta2, makes no diff, all fail in
prune_dcache() ) making an every 10 minute run to get the mail.

I *thought* I had PREEMPT turned off, but when I did a make xconfig,
it was turned on. So its now off, and a new 2.6.8-rc3 is building.
It was frame pointers I had turned on for the last build, still on for
this one underway now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)