Re: [RFC/PATCH] FUSYN Realtime & robust mutexes for Linux, v2.3.1

From: Ulrich Drepper
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 02:08:46 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

> This fixes what appear to be some fairly significant shortcomings. What do
> the futex and NPTL people have to say about the gravity of the problems
> which this solves, and the offered implementation?

This code will not be suppoerted by the glibc code. Using these
primitives would mean significant slowdown of all operations and this
for problems which only a few people have. I asked to get the useful
parts of the code to be made available using the current futex interface
(robust mutexes are useful) but Inaky and rest rest never acted on this
and instead invented this completely incompatible interface. IMO this
code should not go into the mainstream kernel. Let those who want to do
realtime work bear the costs.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â