Re: ksoftirqd uses 99% CPU triggered by network traffic (maybe RLT-8139related)

From: Hector Martin
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 05:20:30 EST

Pasi Sjoholm wrote:

Ok, now I have tested it for 6 hours without crashing the driver. The system's load has been something like 5-6 the whole time. I also made some network load with ~90Mbps-incoming and ~90Mbps-outgoing traffic.

I haven't had time to test anything else but I'm quite sure that there is no need for that anymore because the stability we have reached.

I'll let you know if there's any problems within next few days but I would recommend that those patches would be included in 2.6.8. (without that "if (received > 0) {").

Many thanks for your help to resolve this problem.

Hector, have you tested these patches?

Wow.. I gotta learn some more about kernel hacking someday.. lol

I applied both (new) -10 and -20 patches and removed the test.

I doubled the debug-messages that get sent to the PC (the UDP traffic) but it froze (the sender) and stopped sending them after 5 minutes. I guess that's because of the crappy TCP/IP stack on the other side (this is a PlayStation2 application i'm developing, and the homebrew PS2 TCP/IP stack doesn't have a good reputation.) I'm back to normal debugging, I'll test it for a couple of hours. So far, no problem.