Re: Linux 2.6.8-rc3 - BSD licensing

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 11:57:34 EST

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Jari Ruusu wrote:

> Most of the files in loop-AES are licensed under GPL. Some files have less
> restrictive license, but are still licensed under GPL-compatible license.
> I am not aware of any files in loop-AES that are GPL-incompatible.

You're saying that you consider Gladman's original AES license to be
GPL-compatible (ie a subset of it)? That's fine - apparently the FSF
agrees.

However, that is incompatible with you then complaining when it gets
released under the GPL. If the original license was a proper subset of the
GPL, then it can _always_ be re-released under the GPL, and you don't have
anything to complain about.

So which is it? Either it's GPL-compatible or it isn't. If it is
GPL-compatible, why are you making noises? And if it is not, why are you
claiming that you can distribute loop-AES as a GPL'd project?

You seem to be very very confused, Jari. There really _are_ only these two
cases:

- the AES code is GPL-compatible

This fundamentally means that it has no more restrictions than the GPL,
and that in turn means that it can always be re-licensed as GPL'd code.
Which James Morris did (well, it was dual-licensed, but the only
license that matters for the _kernel_ is the GPL).

In this case, you can't say "you can't do that". I'm sorry, but James
_can_ do that, and it is _you_ who can't do that.

- the AES code is _not_ GPL compatible.

This fundamentally means that you can't relicense it under the GPL, but
it _also_ means that you can't link it with GPL code, since the GPL
_requires_ that the code be under the GPL. In this case, loop-AES was
always wrogn and lying about beign GPL'd, and you should stop
distributing it immediately.

You can't have it both ways. And there aren't any third alternatives.

Explain yourself.

Linus