Re: ide-cd problems

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 17:18:42 EST

On Iau, 2004-08-05 at 20:35, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > exotic commands, and given the choice of having users able to send
> > arbitrary commands to the device and not access it at all, I would say
> > "not at all" would be good.
>
> Then don't make your cdrom device accesable.

Lets get rid of root, I mean you don't need root, you could just turn
your computer off.

What planet are you living on Jens ?

End users have lots of reasons for being able to access /dev/cdrom
directly and also often for groups of users to access a disk directly
(for example Oracle databases).

That means any security model that isn't based around things beyond
basic device access is flawed.

> Affects all devices that accept SG_IO.

Then if you refuse to fix SG_IO perhaps all device drivers should remove
support for it ?