Re: cdrom: dropping to single frame dma

From: David N. Arnold
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 21:08:16 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Tue, Aug 03 2004, David N. Arnold wrote:

I don't know if it's a result of upgrading to 2.6.8-rc2 (from 2.6.5) or from the patch, but it has changed things. I still get

hdd: DMA timeout retry
hdd: timeout waiting for DMA
hdd: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdd: status timeout: error=0x00
hdd: drive not ready for command
hdd: ATAPI reset complete
cdrom: dropping to single frame dma

but ripping stays at its normal speed (5.0x instead of 0.6x) and the file produced is correct instead of skipping/silence.

It doesn't fix the true issue of why I'm getting DMA timeouts, but it does make ripping useable.

After the 'dropping to single frame' message, does it work reliably
after that? And when does the above occur, initially or after some time?
Details, please.

After the single frame message it completes the CD rip without any other timeouts. I can't tell if single frame mode impairs the speed, because sound-juicer doesn't rip at full CD speed anyway. The DMA timeout usually happens in the first few tracks (it's nondeterministic even on the same CD). The only annoying issue left is that the initial ATAPI reset freezes the system for a few seconds until it completes.

I don't know if you're interested, but the DMA timeout only happens in certain usage patterns. If you grab the data one frame at a time with pauses in between (for example linking an ogg encoder directly to the data stream) it will trigger the DMA timeout. If you rip the CD at full drive speed (like ripping to WAV) or batch the read requests together, it doesn't have any problems. Also, if you slow the max speed of the drive down with 'hdparm -E' so that the drive is operating at max (because it's now slower than the encoder) it works fine.

This is all on a JLMS XJ-HD163D DVD drive on the latest firmware.

Thanks,
Dave Arnold