Re: EXT intent logging

From: Daniel Pittman
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 05:12:14 EST

On 6 Aug 2004, Buddy Lumpkin wrote:
> I recently moved from a Sun/Solaris environment to a mostly linux environment
>
> A large NFS server went down recently and as it rebooted, fsck ran for
> a while before the data volumes could be mounted. I noticed the
> filesystem was ext3 and asked, is journaling disabled? Why on earth is
> fsck running at all? The admin assured me this is quite normal for
> ext3 and after a few minutes, the system was brought back online.

What is normal is that ext3 will perform an *occasional* fsck - by
default, once a month or every thirty-odd mounts - to catch any
corruption that has been missed by the journaling.

Also, the fsck will replay the journal outside the kernel if possible,
so you may have witnessed the journal replay.

This is done because it allows multiple filesystems to replay the
journal in parallel rather than sequentially as doing it in-kernel would
require.

Regards,
Daniel

--
If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer,
I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose.