ACK and Packet Queues

From: Patrick McFarland
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 08:38:20 EST

Do Linux packet schedulers also queue and allow prioritization ACK responses?

I just spent the last hour googling for an answer to my question, and
I can't find one, and I thought I'd ask here, possibly someone who
understands the packet queuing code is subscribed.

I'm asking because I'm trying to find a good way to influence what
packets are sent to me over a slow link. I'm thinking along the lines
of mangling TOS on incoming AND outgoing packets of SomeService,
saying I want them to be Minimize-Delay, and having the ACK of the
incoming packets of SomeService be Minimize-Delay as well, so that
SomeService ACKs are sent before other ACKs, just like SomeService
normal outgoing packets would be.

Because I would be now Minimize-Delay-ing all incoming and outgoing
traffic of SomeServce, it would increase the chances of me getting
SomeService traffic over other traffic (or so I hope.)

This all depends, of course, if Linux's packet scheduler also
schedules ACKs (and allows me to prioritize them).

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || diablod3@xxxxxxxxx