Re: Is extern inline -> static inline OK?

From: Richard Henderson
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 21:44:29 EST

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 11:57:04AM -0700, Tim Bird wrote:
> 2) avoid wasting space with multiple function copies

Mostly this one. The translation units that do the EXTERN_INLINE
defines also define tables containing (among other things) pointers
to all of these functions. So we *know* that we require one out-of-line
copy in one translation unit, so we might as well make that version the
canonical out-of-line copy.

Also, I seem to recall some multiply-defined symbol something or
other the last time someone messed with our inlining construct.

r~