Re: Possible dcache BUG

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 01:22:03 EST

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Chris Shoemaker wrote:

> I _was_ able to find the attached oops, but I don't think I have the
> corresponding object files, so I hope the decoding it contains is
> good enough.

It's fine.

It oopses on

inode->i_sb->s_op

where "i_sb" is bad and contains the pointer "0x0b7eebf8" which is
definitely not a valid kernel pointer.

There's a few other strange details in your oops report too. One being
that the inode pointer (in %ebx, apparently) doesn't show on the stack
where I'd expect it to show. Hmm. That might be just a different compiler
issue, though.

Anyway, this does look somewhat like the ones Gene is seeing. If I had to
guess, I'd guess that either the inode pointer is bad, or it's just stale
from an inode that has already been free'd. Most likely because of
prune_dcache() having had a corrupt LRU list with a stale/corrupt entry.

That would blow the prefetch theory out of the water.

Linus