Re: 2.6.xSMP and IPv4 issues (ifconfig(s))

From: Maurice
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 11:13:16 EST

Denis Vlasenko <vda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>You should connect your box to another one and verify that
>network is ok (it is working under non-SMP kernel, right?).
>Most probably you already did this. :)
>
>Then, do this ping test again, and while ping is running, do
>
>tcpdump -nleieth0 -s0 -vvv
>
>on both boxes. You will see what is happening on the wire.
>For example, does other box actually hear anything?
>
>> New! Netscape Toolbar for Internet Explorer
>
>Heh.
>--
>vda

Not to switch gears on you, but...

I have a "fix", through some feedback from the fedora-legacy-project list I was directed to send the command 'noapic' at boot time. To see if this would have some effect on the IPv4 problem.

This allowed IPv4 to operate with the SMP kernel!!!

So, can anyone explane what is going on with this...
Is it my motherboard/bios having communication issues with the SMP kernel, but not with the non-SMP kernel?

Thanks, Denis, for you assistance with this issue.

--------
-Maurice

"Linux -- it not just for breakfast anymore..."
-Moe

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.