Re: ide-cs using 100% CPU

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 15:35:18 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Gwe, 2004-08-06 at 20:33, Hamie wrote:

Is 100% CPU not excessive? IIRC my PIII-750 used to use less CPU doing the same job as quick, or even slightly faster...

PCMCIA IDE is PIO only so it burns CPU. This is one case where
hyperthreading is nice. Cardbus IDE is a lot better but very little
exists and we don't currently support hotplug IDE controllers.

And should it not use system CPU rather than user CPU?

Yes - but figure out please if the kernel or userspace is getting that
wrong ;)

He didn't mention seeing waitio in his stats (or I missed it) so he may be using old userspace tools which don't show waitio.

Should this show as system or waitio? Typically waitio time can be used for other thaings and this can't, so perhaps showing it as system is correct in this case.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)