Re: [RFC] Bug zapper? :)

From: John Richard Moser
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 18:13:26 EST

Denis Vlasenko wrote:
On Monday 09 August 2004 23:07, John Richard Moser wrote:

[...]

The flaw is that you think that kernel folks don't review their code.
However, if you see some bad code, by all means - send a patch.

Oh, no; as I said, even heavily quality assurance audited code has maybe 5 bugs per kloc. Where do the mremap() and munmap() bugs come from? Obviously you guys don't get everything.

Asking others to do large amount of work is not very popular on this list.
Do something yourself first.

Just do it in passing; you don't have to put a sudden hard effort to do these things in. It'd be nice, but a major undertaking.

What I'm suggesting isn't much though, is it really? Consider the functions function (normal code, not necessarily kernel):

void get_food(char **a) {
*a = malloc(strlen(global_food) + 1);
strcpy(*a, global_food);
}

/*Set our food*/
int set_food(char *food) {
if (!food)
return -1; /*error*/
free(global_food); /*if NULL, nothing happens*/
global_food = malloc(strlen(food) + 1);
strcpy(global_food, food);
return 0;
}

You'll have to forgive the lack of formatting; thunderbird is mean about this :/

Anyhow, as you can see, these are quite simple. Function names are self-eplanitory, as is the process. Assumedly, these are fine.

Now, we could try another approach at this, below.

/* get_food(char **a)
* Gets the current food.
*
* INPUT:
* - char **a
* Pointer to a pointer for the outputted food.
* OUTPUT:
* - Return
* none.
* - *a
* Set to a copy of the current food.
* PROCESS:
* - Set '*a' to a newly allocated block of memory containing a copy
* of the current food (global_food)
* STATE CHANGE:
* none.
*/
void get_food(char **a) {
*a = malloc(strlen(global_food) + 1);
strcpy(*a, global_food);
}

/* set_food(char *food)
* Sets the current food.
*
* INPUT:
* - char *food
* Pointer to an ASCIIZ string containing the new food
* OUTPUT:
* - Return
* -1 on error
* 0 on success
* PROCESS:
* - If (food is NULL)
* - return error (-1)
* - If (food is not NULL)
* - Free current food (global_food)
* - Set current food (global_food) to a newly allocated block
* of memory containing a copy of 'food'
* STATE CHANGE:
* - current food (global_food) is set to 'food'
* - Memory holding previous food is freed
*/
int set_food(char *food) {
if (!food)
return -1; /*error*/
free(global_food); /*if NULL, nothing happens*/
global_food = malloc(strlen(food) + 1);
strcpy(global_food, food);
return 0;
}

These comment blocks are *MUCH* more verbose. They describe the process loosely, but do give enough information to allow understanding without questions.

The large amount of extra commentary is worth it, IMHO.
--
vda