Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

From: David Lang
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 18:27:58 EST

I have burned one coaster in the last year with CDrecord (running as root) so it's still possible, it's just very rare.

David Lang

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:59:25 +1000
From: Con Kolivas <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Albert Cahalan <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, axboe@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices

Albert Cahalan writes:

Joerg:
"WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).\n"
"WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.\n"
Fixed:
"Warning: You don't have permission to lock memory.\n"
" If the computer is not idle, the CD may be ruined.\n"

Joerg:
"WARNING: Cannot set priority class parameters priocntl(PC_SETPARMS)\n"
"WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.\n"
Fixed:
"Warning: You don't have permission to hog the CPU.\n"
" If the computer is not idle, the CD may be ruined.\n"

Huh? That can't be right. Every cd burner this side of the 21st century has buffer underrun protection. I've burnt cds _while_ capturing and encoding video using truckloads of cpu and I/O without superuser privileges, had all the cdrecord warnings and didn't have a buffer underrun. Last time I gave superuser privilege to cdrecord it locked my machine - clearly it wasn't rt_task safe.

Con