Re: 2.6.8-rc3-mm2

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 04:05:18 EST

* William Lee Irwin III <wli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > so the same patch but without the printk change still crashes?
> > how about applying only the printk change? (delay effect?)
>
> Actually, what I just narrowed it down to was *only* the printk change
> fixes it.

when i've seen such things on x86 it was usually some race with
interrupts on the other CPU. Where do all the ia64 interrupts go to
during bootup?

the other possibility is messed up completion logic - some stuff is
still on this CPU's kernel stack and the printk delays its
corruption/destruction.

Ingo